Saturday 11 November 2006

For The Fallen.


Having served my country in the military I have nothing but admiration and respect for those from Britain, The Common wealth countries and our allies who have served during the wars and especially those who have given their lives in service to their country. Ordinary people who due to their courage became heroes, many of them not receiving medals or even a marked grave but it wasn't themselves they were thinking about.
May they all rest in peace and be remembered with gratitude.
To those currently serving their countries in conflict I wish a speedy and safe return to their families.
Please spare a thought and say a prayer for all the civilians caught up in the wars also.

This poem was written by a Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel
John McCrae in 1915, what a pointless waste of life wars are.


In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blowBetween the crosses, row on row,That mark our place; and in the skyThe larks, still bravely singing, flyScarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days agoWe lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,Loved, and were loved, and now we lieIn Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:To you from failing hands we throwThe torch; be yours to hold it high.If ye break faith with us who dieWe shall not sleep, though poppies growIn Flanders fields.


A parent's epitaph for their son from World War one.

To all the world he was a soldier
To me he was all the world.



Never forget what happened at Enniskillen 1987.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flanders Fields is a beautiful poem.

War is a horrible waste, and I do hope that something happens to end current ones.

Fat Sparrow said...

I'm fond of Mark Twain's "The War Prayer," myself.

Foot Eater said...

The Remembrance Day message has been sadly diluted ever since i ws moved to the nearest Sunday so as not to inconvenience anyone.

And that bastard Martin McGuinness in in the Sunday papers today, in a photo from the 70s where he's in full IRA get-up.

Foot Eater said...

it was

David Todd said...

'Having served my country in the military' was that active service in the NAFFI?;-)

Old Knudsen said...

sassy sundry War is oldmen getting angry and youngmen dying. I believe it to be a necessary evil but not in the current Iraq context.

Fat Sparrow yes thats a passionate one.

Mr Eater but X-mas gets bigger, McGuinness is a cunt of the highest order, I can never get over him being made the head of education,SF and the DUP shouldn't even be in charge of traffic, I will not be going to their wedding on the 24th.

cyberscribe I do not tell first time commenters to go fuck a goat, so welcome sir, I have been to your neck of the woods often, yes I was on the way to somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Old Man.
That was well said.

David Todd said...

Thank You Mr Knudsen, I am on the way to somewhere else but traveling very slowly :-)

Old Knudsen said...

dive bless them all bless them all, the long and the short and the tall.

cyberscribe I should hope you're going slowly if you're on the interweb,don't forget to watch the road now and again, at the bottom of Scrabo there is this burger shop, Beefeater I think it was called, beautiful burgers with big slabs of pineapple, that is the only place worthwhile going around the Ards direction, Donaghadee and Portavogie were regular stops for me due to the fishing.