Wednesday 10 January 2007

Island Paradise For Sale.




Want to live in yer own wee nation where you are lord and master over all that you survey? well I do so I was looking to start me own fully armed compound with religious followers but then I saw this.
A platform was built during World War II for anti-air craft defense for the Port of Harwich in Essex . eight miles from Essex and six miles of the coast of Suffolk it was sunk into a sandbar. Called HM Fort Roughs it was one of the many Towers built buy Guy Maunsell around the coast.
When all that illegal radio station crap was going on in the 1960's with the now famous radio Caroline ships there was also a station run by squatters on the fort, as you know squatters have rights too but 6 miles from the coast its a little more lapse in the force you can use to remove them. In 1965 Roy Bates evicted such squatters by force and then again in 1967, he wanted his own radio station on it and so he claimed it as his.
In 1968 the Royal Navy tried to evict him, heres how that exchange may have went.

Navel officer "I say old chap, do you mind leaving the towers as they are still the property of the Ministry of Defense , we'd be awfully obliged if you could".

Roy Bates ::::discharges shotgun into the air like an Iraqi dictator:::::"fuck off".

Navel officer "righty ho, sorry to trouble you sir, we'll be off then".

The judge ruled that Principality of Sealand as it was called by bates is out of British territorial waters so its all his , a bit like the ruling for the Cherokees to keep their land, they won but Andrew Jackson being a cunt of a bitter balls said, well lets see them keep hold of it, before he marched them out at gunpoint (a bit of yank perspective to keep them engaged) Their Royal Highnesses Prince Roy and Princess Joan of Sealand introduced a constitution, flag , national anthem, currency, passports and probably some rule about number twos going over the side and not clogging up the toilets and stinking out the towers, they have eight rooms in each by the way but where is the smell to go?

The Royal couple, look at his big chopper, no wonder a fit bird like her hangs around him.

In 1978 Dutch businessmen collaborating with German (probably nazi) businessmen while on Sealand to discuss a deal kidnapped Roy's son but were over powered and executed as per the laws of Sealand, ok maybe not executed, they were released with at least a kick in the balls as that's what I would do if they grabbed one of my sons, well maybe not Trevor my expendable son.
The main draw back to living on the fort would be the fact that's its a rusty old piece of shit from World War II and that all the Bloggers you'd never want to meet in real life life doon that direction, no offense but yous are a bunch of sick wankers .


For all their talk about being royalty the Bates don't even live there, 10 hefty caretakers do and the Sealand Royal family all have British passports, so they say fuck off to Britain until they needed to be airlifted by the RAF when there was a fire there, yeah that would be right, I wonder what healthcare is like on the platform .
If you want to buy HM Fort Roughs, you can't as its a principality, but for an 8 figure sum you can have squatter's rights, er I mean custodianship of the scrap heap, don't bother.

20 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I find this fascinating Old K. I'm dying to know how much it'll go for. It'd be a bit cold living there, wouldn't it, but i do like somewhere with a sea view. I'd like to see the inside living accommodation; i wonder if it has ensuite bathrooms and whether the central heating is by radiators or hot air. It's an important point. Somehow i imagine a games room with full size snooker table and the like. Fishing could be the hobby of the day i think, with I-spy coming in a close second. I quite fancy being Princess Lynn too, i feel it'd suit me, swanning around leaving an enticing trail of Chanel in my wake and donning a long, navy robe with white fur edging and diamonds bestowed on me by visiting digniatories erm...like you, Old K. What gift would you be bearing for your first visit to my (yes i'm thinking about it if they'll take a down payment of a hundred quid) Principality ? I'd allow each visitor to add a new rule for Sealand. What would yours be Old K?

Old Knudsen said...

Hey missus, you don't half make me work, I suspect the inside matches the outside. I'd bring ya my washing to do, and my rule would be no banjo music after 9pm, yes that is directed at Dive.

tony said...

Yea Man .Far Out! A Bloggers Commune.I love the Sound of That.You Could Be A Charles Manson Type........?Helter Skelter!!!
Yea Yea Yea.Count Me In .
Im packing My Bucket& Spade As I type this.
Peace Love & Roman Polanski

Old Knudsen said...

Funny you should mention him, I own (a loose term) his actual mugshot. Did ya see that film the beach? we'll have none of that stuff going on.

tony said...

'Fraid i never saw "The Beach".
I was thinking more along these lines............I want to be the Elvis-Type.Hawian-shirtz;Geetar:arms dripping with Chicks.not too much to ask?

Old Knudsen said...

Make that yer rule for lynn then, and lad, I nearly pished myself at yer socks.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I do indeed put you to work, Old K. That lively mind of yours must be worked, explored and picked. Not to share that brain with us, well it would just be rude, wouldn't it.
Ok so i'd have your sweaty socks to wash would i? Could manage that i suppose, though i'd carefully remove my robe first to do it (steady now with those thoughts). I go along with your rule wholeheartedly. Dive must be contained, at least in some areas. By the way, thanks for your comment on my blog, but it's only one of my blogs. When are you going to grace me with your presence at the others? Yes i'm putting you to work again - in a respectful, polite way of course.

tony said...

Those are My Lucky "Trapping-Socks"!!!

They Drive The Babes Crazy!
:)

dive said...

Ah, the great days of Radio Caroline.
Their DJ Andy Archer helped us set up our own pirate radio station in the early seventies (playing mostly our own stuff of course, so that would have pissed you right off).
Heady days … sigh …
Thanks for the reminder.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Love the naval officer dialogue by the way.
Socks are quite a running theme here today aren't they. How strange they should be mentioned so oft when your post mentions nothing of them. What colour are yours today Old K? I'm sensing though that you will tire of my demands and keep it a national secret. Mine are orange with a red muff around the ankle. Steady. Again.

Sassy Sundry said...

I was going to write about this. I'm glad I didn't. Your post is much better.

Old Knudsen said...

lynn you are starting to sound like my 4th wife, don't thank me for commenting money will do. I've been on yer photo thingy blog too I can't talk shite everywhere you know.

tony those socks, that procedure all funny, well maybe not for you when you think about it.

dive technology has indeed moved on, I was always a radio luxemburg fella meself.

lynn your avatar doesn't work half of the time, sort of spoils the mood when you go on about what you're wearing or taking off, I was so nearly there, lucky kav commented.

sassy sundry you can do the fisting post if you want.

kav your opinion is always welcome..........somewhere i guess, if you weren't reading me you'd be reading Foot Eater and hes a cunt .

BEAST said...

A bloggers commune.....sounds fecking horrible , bags you get to share a hammock with haden

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

lol sorry about the avatar prob Old K it's not my doing at all. I'm there all ready and smiley then blogger just wipes me away from you! So, i'm likened to your 4th wife already. This must be a bad sign. I can see you're preparing virtual divorce papers for us (it was good while it lasted Old K) and you haven't even seen my socks yet. Oh well never mind, i've changed them now anyway for stockings...

tony said...

Yup!
The procedure was quite funny.....
but that's all Behind me now!

Old Knudsen said...

Mr beast now that you've mentioned Haden yes it does sound horrible.

lynn lets give it another go, for the sake of the comments, ok then, what are you wearing?

tony the NHS are crap they just expect you to bend over and take it cos its free, its a bum deal.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

oh alright then Old K, you charmer, you won me over. Well, it's near to bedtime so i've got pink fluffy slippers on, soft comfy jarmies and of course Chanel. lol. I bet you're wearing that sexy old cotton cap of yours you devil you?

Old Knudsen said...

I'll be staying up for a few hours yet no doubt, I've still got me blogging cap on and a pair of crotchless speedos thats all, don't judge me people.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

blogging cap LOL and the speedos well goodness Old K you're just trying hard to hook me in aren't you? I really don't know what to say. No. I really don't though.

Sassy Sundry said...

Crotchless Speedos. Just when I thought those things couldn't get any worse.