Sunday 6 May 2007

The Ballad of the German Soldier's Bride.


And what did he send you my bonny lass,
From the old old town of Prague?
From Prague he sent me ribboned shoes,
Ribboned shoes for my dancing toes,
From the old old town of Prague.

And what did he send you my bonny lass,
From Oslo over the sea?
From Oslo he sent me a fur-lined hood,
A fur-lined hood so soft and so good,
From Oslo over the sea.

And what did he send you my bonny lass,
From Paris the city of light?
From Paris he sent me a silken dress,
A dream caress of a silken dress,
From Paris the city of light.

And what did he send you my bonny lass,
From the deep, deep Russian snows?
From Russia he sent me my widow's weeds,
From the funeral feast my widow's weeds,
From the deep, deep Russian snows.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least he seems do have died fast.

Brecht?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Tuesday the war will be over ...
Some bastards still mourn "the lost war". Incredible.

Old Knudsen said...

I mourn the Phoney war.

Wars are no good though a necessary evil sometimes if fought for the right reasons.

Old Knudsen said...

Indeed they are but soldiers very often just do what they're told, even if its bad, theirs is but to do and die.

Anonymous said...

"We" are not more insane than any other "Volk" on this earth.

Well, Old Knudsen, what are right reasons to fight a war? And don't say "to end all wars"!

Old Knudsen said...

Oh Bertolt brecht was a Bavarian which is funny as I had this about to be put up before you started commenting, that would be the web of fate other wise known as BLOGJINX!

Anonymous said...

Stoping dictators and genocide is good.
In a nutshell: If ya make war, do it right and don't lie about it.
Nicht schlecht, Herr Specht. I can agree with that.

When the Hun comes you better invite him. Where's my Heinkel-toy ...

Old Knudsen said...

did you just call me a Woodpecker? if the Hun has strong beer and a big sausage I'll invite him in, him and his big beach towel.

Anonymous said...

The German Sausage, mate, is beyond any description.

By the way, ol' Bertold the commie was from Augsburg, capital of what is called "Bayerisch-Schwaben".

Servus. Oh yes and THANK YOU for the RIMJOB.

Anonymous said...

Bet she kept the stuff though--- also what are widows weeds??

Fat Sparrow said...

Widows weeds -- That's the stuff you smoke at Jamaican wakes.

Yeah, yeah, I'm leaving....