Monday 9 July 2007

War Is Hell On Yer Skin.


Bullets whistled past my head adrenaline fear and panic all present but supressed by years of training. I held my rifle firmly into my shoulder and returned fire, counting each round as I fired then it happened "click" in all the excitement I'd mis-counted damn those double digit numbers "deadman's click" I moved for cover at the same time reaching into my pouch for a new mag. I felt a sharp pain and hit the ground.
The pain was searing and intense as I lay there in the dust writhing in agony. I half choked half screamed "sarge" within seconds the tough old grizzled features of Sarge Grinder appeared kneeling over me with nervous concern on his face, "what is it Knudsen where are you hit?" I gasped in pain and blurted out, "blisters sarge , heel rubbing against my boot" the Sarge's eyes welled with tears and in a rage he yelled, "Damn you bastards to Hades" and returned fire, " I'm not losing another man today." he said choking back tears.
We'd lost four already , two at the vending machine, one at the toilets and one in the carpark, war was hell. "We need an evacuation sarge" I yelled as a bullet richocheted off my helmet, "you should have went before you came out Knudsen" as usual the Sarge was right damn my inexperience.

" Can you walk to the LZ Knudsen?" I looked around at the firestorm we were in, "either I do or we both die here Sarge." I got to my feet. I could see Charlie closing in. I never liked Charlie there was something about his eyes.

We got to the LZ there was no sign of the Huey , no not a Huey helicopter the huey I did on the ground due to car sickness when we arrived , "look Sarge the mini van" the other men were inside the van shaking and fumbling for their cigarettes , their trousers wet with piss and a haunting 2 yard stare on their faces.
We jumped into the van and took off at high speed, bullets following after us until we got out of range.
We stopped at a Wendy's for some square burgers, no one would never understand what we went through, the soft fat civilains laughed and enjoyed their food, lifting out the pickles with impunity, and impunity drinking her milkshake.
We had just been to a high school on an army recruitment drive only to find the kids better armed than us. I pity those sobbing shell shocked teachers and their curriculum of lunacy, we learned a hard lesson today in the art of war and now school was out.

8 comments:

Jemima's mummy said...

Knudsen, in your youth, did you perchance serve with Spike Milligan ? There's something about the way you dodge death (well, ok, not quiiiite) and swear quite verily about helmets and such which brings him very much to mind. I'm feeling warm and nostalgic but that could just be an accident, I'll check...

Unknown said...

Must have been like the halcyon days in the UDR... damn those 'soft fat civilains'!

Anonymous said...

Not enough donuts. Otherwise a lovely story. Are americans all gun mad? It's not the gun that kills, it's the person pulling the trigger. A bit like saying, 'it's not falling without a parachute that kills you. Just the bit where you hit the ground.'

Anonymous said...

CARAMBA! You make Juenger's Stahlgewitter look like a Sunday afternoon stroll ...

Anonymous said...

Comment I over heard one of the kids making yesterday about the 50 year old lady up the road
"She's so old so could have been in Nam."
I think I'll sit them down and make them watch casualties of war, that should scare them into not speaking for the rest of the school holidays.

Sassy Sundry said...

Those vending machines, man. They'll get you every time. You think you're just getting a snack, and then, BAM!

Anonymous said...

kate isis
You could show them pictures from WWI - but I guess you'd have a problem with the parents afterwards.

Aaah, legion comme moi - that should work anywhere!

Old Knudsen said...

fearfink I have died several times, thankgod for voodoo.

conan Drumm don't ya miss the UDR? "have any identification on you sir?"

asym42 not all but I'm British.

mago I have flashbacks to sunday strolls.

kate Isis great film, it shows the soldier mentality brilliantly, its scary.

sassy I got it up the snickers once.

DBS I already have the rot, I usually delete it.

mago kids love dead bodies, scary nam rape and helplessness is another matter, plus its in colour.